Gluten and Casein Free Diet

My boring blog! My son is starting on the gfcf diet. I want to log all the foods and see if his behavior changes. Anyone who catches me feeding him stuff he shouldn't have or who has advice, feel free to comment.

Friday, April 04, 2008

Don't You Know Millet Is a Girl's Best Friend


Because we are on the gluten-free diet, we eat a lot of rice. Rather than going to the store every five days to buy a small bag, I finally broke down and purchased a twenty-five pound bag. I feel a lot like Bubba Gump with my Spanish rice, my teriyaki rice, my chicken rice, my fried rice... But rice gets very boring as does potatoes, our other mainstay. Plus my son doesn't like potatoes.

Two nights ago I decided to make quinoa. My son doesn't like that either but boy am I tired of rice.

I melted some Earth Balance margarine in my pan. Then I threw in one small diced onion, two pressed garlic cloves and about three-fourths of a cup of shredded carrots. I sauteed them for about five minutes then went to measure my quinoa. It was then I realized that the box of quinoa only contained a measly half cup.

What to do? Inspiration struck. Okay, desperation struck. I remembered the millet stored in my cupboard that I had picked up a month ago. I had tried it once as a breakfast porridge and been a bit disappointed. However, desperate times call for desperate measures.

I added a cup and a half of millet to the pan along with three cups of water. I also added another tablespoon of Earth Balance and one and a half teaspoons salt. Then I cooked it like rice; brought it to a boil, covered and then simmered it for about twenty minutes.

It was delicious. My husband and kids all loved it as did I. A bonus was that it was completely vegan and very filling too.

I served it with baked chicken and asparagus, a winner of a dinner. Hee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home